Monday, March 16, 2009

Song of the Week: "Somebody Loved" by The Weepies

This week's pick is a sweet little song that I came across while looking for new music by daisy chaining from band to band on iTunes via the "Listeners Also Bought" button. I've found a few gems this way, but it usually leads to me randomly sampling songs until about 3am. This time it paid off.

The Weepies are a pop, indie pair with a couple of albums behind them. I've only managed to get my hands on "Happiness" as of yet, but based on what I've heard, I look forward to checking out their other albums.

Singer Deb Talan has a unique and beautuful voice that, once heard, becomes instantly recognizable. In that way, she reminds me of an Amanda Palmer, or maybe even a young Allison Krauss.

In searching for a video for this particular song, I came across a few options on YouTube, none of which were superb. First off, it seems the band did a guest stint on ABC's "Dirty, Sexy, Money"-- the show with quite possibly the worst title of all time. And second, some poor jackass out there made a fan video of Jim and Pam from "The Office' to this song, which made me want to punch myself in the face.

So, I've decided to post the song here in a simple MP3 form, to save you the trouble of seeing those truly awful videos. I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do. If you have a romantic bone in your body, you'll like it. But beware, the lyrics are very easy to learn, and highly likely to get stuck in your head. 

I'm just saying... you've been warned.




Somebody Loved - The Weepies

No comments: