Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This is what interesting action looks like...

After suffering through the trailers for both "Transformers 2" and "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra", it was so damn refreshing to see Neill Blomkamp's new alien action film "District 9."

And it's not that "TF2" and "GI Joe" look all that bad, they just look like homogenized, run-of-the-mill "action."

So, in case anyone has forgotten what a truly visionary genre filmmaker looks like, I present to you Mr. Blomkamp. The synopsis for this film had me intrigued--

An extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on Earth suddenly find a kindred spirit in a government agent that is exposed to their biotechnology.

 And now-- thankfully-- the trailer has me all in for this one and it's definitely landed in my top 5 anticipated films for the year. Honestly-- how cool is it that the alien's face is blurred out during the questioning sequence? What a cool visual!

Take a look at the trailer below and let me know what you think?

Oh-- and do yourself a favor and seek out Blomkamp's short films and commercials-- they're fantastic! You can see most of them for free right here.

3 comments:

V.E. said...

Kinda reminds me of Independence Day. Sorta. Well, at least the commercial has a little of that feel.

Jon said...

Fair enough. though this looks like "Independence Day" through a much more independent lens.

Bill O'Shea said...

I came across the trailer for this movie the other day and checked it out cause Peter Jackson is one of the producers. Very interesting. The website is kinda cool too. I am getting a "V" meets "Cry Freedom."