Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pardon my French...

... but IMDB can kiss my ass, Here we are, two days after the official release of "The Dark Knight", and it now sits at #1 on IMDB's top 250 films of all time list. That means, according to the IMDB and its users, this is the best film ever made, of all time... ever. That is just preposterous.

This is just another example of why IMDB's rating system, and top 250 & top 100 lists are so flawed. No film should even be considered for this list until a set time after it's release-- say, one year. One year after it's release, a film should be eligible to be placed on this list. Because right now, all we have is a bunch of fanboys and midnight-screening moviegoers, still drunk with the excitement of opening weekend hoopla, logging on and mindlessly giving it a "10." Hey-- perhaps it deserves a 10 (Though, when you consider that a "10" would mean that there is no room for improvement, which is not the case here). I just think IMDB should hold off on allowing any film to their pantheon of amazing films, until it's been out at least long enough for people to get over the media frenzy it may have created. And oh what a media frenzy this film has created.

I mean, I get it-- "The Dark Knight" is good. In fact, it's probably great. I've contributed to it's record smashing opening weekend. But what I simply can't get down with is the now tiresome overload of hype and (to quote myself) critical fellatio the film is getting. Okay-- they've run an awesome ad campaign. And Heath Ledger's death provided the type of awareness of the film that money simply cannot buy. I mean, come on, the studio would be lying if they said they weren't basking in the media glow that his death created. But at this point I'm so sick of the name "The Dark Knight" that I just wanted to see the film, if only to get it out of my system and move on. Essentially, my enthusiasm for the film is fighting a losing battle with my desire to ignore anything that is so widely and blatantly put forth as infallible. I even felt compelled to vote the film a zero, just to make a point. Talk about a useless vote-- I now know what it must feel like to vote for Ralph Nader.

At this point, I don't even feel like thinking about this any more. IMDB has now joined the Oscars as just another Entertainment institution that has essentially ruined it's own good name in my eyes. Let's not forget, Eminem, 3-6 Mafia and an American Idol winner all have Academy Awards, and the greatest film of all time is "The Dark Knight." Does anyone have a cyanide pill? Because this must be the end.

In closing, here are some of the Greatest films of all time (for real) and their (dis)repsective IMDB ranks--

Casablanca #10
Citizen Kane #28
Lawrence of Arabia #34
The Third Man #47
Rashomon #68
Raging Bull #72
Touch of Evil #92
Jaws #96
Blade Runner #103
The Bicycle Thief #108
Annie Hall #129

NOT EVEN LISTED!
The Grand Illusion
The Thing

and many, many more.

For shame, Mr. IMDB-man. You, sir, can kiss my ass.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Eminem deserved that oscar. For real.

And as far as I know, IMDb has never claimed that its list is anything but a reflection of it's users votes. There's no IMDb selection committee behind the scenes making decisions about the list. Given what the list is (a list of IMDb users' top-rated movies), and what it isn't (a list compiled by film scholars like yourself), Dark Knight's temporary status as the number one movie is understandable. In fact, as of this writing, it has slipped all the way to number 3.

This list is just a great example of the old adage "consider the source."

-- Mike Lizzio