Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Song of the Week: Fear of Pop - "In Love"

Ben Folds is by far my favorite musician, so it stands to reason that he'd eventually find his way into one of my "Song of the Week" posts. In fact, he'll probably be on my list more than a few times. However, for my first Ben Folds selection, I chose a rather off-beat track entitled "In Love" from his 1998 side project, "Fear of Pop."


Now, before you listen, let me tell you that this particular track is a collaboration with the one and only William Shatner. Whatever that means to you, whether good or bad, should be kept in check until you actually listen to the song. It took me several spins for this one to grow on me-- but grow on me it has.

If you know anything about the Shat, you know he has a thing for kitschy poetry ("Rocket Man", anyone? Go on and YouTube that sumbitch'). And "In Love" is pretty much just a simple poem, accompanied by my man Ben Folds tickling the ivories.

So, there you have it-- my second song of the week selection. I hope you enjoy it.


P.S.-- if you like this, be sure to check out Shatner's cover of the Pulp song "Common People."

P.P.S. -- Blogger's spell checker did not try to correct my use of the word "Shat." Nice.




No comments: