Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fear Itself Episode 1: "The Sacrifice"


NBC's horror anthology "Fear Itself" debuted last week. I was pretty excited about this show, despite the fact that I've been repeatedly disappointed by Mick Garris' previous series, "Masters of Horror." So, here's what I thought...

The Good: The show was surprisingly gory. They pushed it about as far as I would imagine broadcast TV would let them. Also, I was impressed at how they compressed such a big story into a 5 act show. It was actually really tight. The acting wasn't all that bad, either, which goes a long way to help a horror film.


The Bad: We've seen all of this before-- perhaps not on prime time TV, but there is nothing new to horror fans here. Also, I would have like to have seen a little bit more of the monster/vampire. And the main weak point was the ending (Spoiler)-- these girls have been trapped in this house for years looking after this beast, but they have never thought of luring it into a hole and burning it before? That was a bit rushed.

Overall: I enjoyed this show, and I'm very glad to see this type of horror anthology back on television. It follows in the tradition of "Tales from the Darkside" and "Tales from the Crypt", which are both shows that I really enjoy. I just hope they are able to grab enough viewers to keep this going.

No comments: