Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Save the cheerleader? Eh, if I get around to it.

I was late hopping aboard the "Heroes" bandwagon. I missed the first few episodes, and with serialized dramas that makes it hard to fully comprehend the plot. I was very excited for this show to come to DVD, as this is how I originally got up to speed with my favorite show, "Lost". With "Lost" I literally made it through the first season in about 3 days. I would watch 4 or 5 episodes at a time. With "Heroes", I don't know if it's the mediocre acting, the comic-bookish writing or the snail's pace at which the plot seems to crawl, but this show just isnt doing it for me. And believe me, I wanted it to.

Currently I am up to episode 15, and honestly. I'm in no hurry to finish watching. I attribute my lack of interest in large part to three characters in particular.

1.) Micah (Noah Gray-Cabey)-- This is one of the worst child actors I have seen since Jake Lloyd in "Star Wars: Episode I". He's another example of producers giving adult mannerisms to a child actor (ahem... Dakota Fanning) It doesn't work. This kid's nasal, whiny voice is topped only by his Jheri curl hairdo as his character's worst aspect.

2.)Niki (Ali Larter)-- Micah's Mom is one of the least compelling, worst acted characters in the show. Her story is contrived and is the one that I would be most eager to have cut from the show. And that whole "two different personalities in the mirror" effect has lost it's novelty. In fact it lost it's novelty when it was first developed sometime in the early eighties.

3.)Hiro (Masi Oka)-- I suspect that I may be in the minority here, but I find his character's high-pitch voice and innocent portrayal incredibly annoying. His is another story that is dragging on and getting very boring. I get it, this is your destiny-- so get to it already.

Basically, the only storyline I care about is that of Claire and Peter Petrelli. All of the other heroes just seem to detract from the interesting parts of the story. Maybe I am just spoiled from holding this show up to the bar set by "Lost." But I feel like I have been forcing myself to watch this show and like it. I have come to the realization that it is just okay. However, take what I say with a grain of salt-- I still watch "Saved by the Bell."

No comments: