Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jon's 2009 Oscar Picks


Best Picture
"The Wrestler." What's that? It wasn't nominated? Oh... uh, then it should go to "The Dark Knight". What? That wasn't nominated either? Well... I dunno. Then, I guess just give it to whoever you want. Okay, so I guess "Slumdog Millionaire" it is, then.

Best Actor
Mickey Rourke. Hands down. Yeah, he's been in some shit movies, and he looks kinda weird, and those chihuahuas... what is with those chihuahuas? But, when it comes down to the performance, his Randy "The Ram" Robinson was utterly transcendent.

Best Actress
So, the easy choice here would be to say Kate Winslet. But I have a feeling that Anne Hathaway is going to pull this one out. She is on someone's short list to be an upcoming A-list actress, and this will be just what she needs to have that solidified. But the Academy does love Winslet...

Best Supporting Actor
Heath Ledger. Yawn. It's not that I didn't like his performance-- I loved it! But it's just been so long, and there has been so much hyperbole about his performance that I'm just looking forward to giving him the award and being done with it.

Best Supporting Actress
I'm going out on a limb, and saying Amy Adams, from "Doubt." She is an A-Lister in the making.

Best Original Screenplay
I would like for "In Bruges" to win, but I think "Milk" will have this one locked up because it will be the only chance for the Academy to give the film a chance at Oscar gold. And, ahem, what about "The Wrestler"?

Best Adapted Screenplay
"Slumdog Millionaire". This one is deserved. Good script. But, I still think "The Dark Knight" should have been nominated here...

Best Cinematography
I think people will assume that this will go to "Benjamin Button", but that will be due in large part to many people ascribing the look of the film to the cinematography, when really the film's look is dominated by visual effects and digital filters. So, having said that, I think this one will go to Wally Pfister for "The Dark Knight." It's the only chance for the film to win an Oscar, and they damn well better give it to him.

Best Director
Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire" I really like Danny Boyle a lot. I have no problem with him winning. However, I have a huge problem with the fact that neither Christopher Nolan nor Darren Aronofsky were even nominated. How in the hell did that happen?

Best Animated Feature
Wall-E. Yeah. Another year, another Pixar Oscar. And sure, it was really great and all... it's just I miss 2d animation. I really do.


The Oscars are on this Sunday, February 22nd. I suppose I'll post again after the show, discussing how well my picks went over. If you want to watch a good live blog during the show, head over to Film Junk. I'll be in their uStream room for the whole show. 

No comments: