Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Song of the Week: "Rebel, Rebel" by Seu Jorge

Okay, so obviously I'm a huge David Bowie fan. But this week's selection is actually a cover of one of his songs. Anyone familiar with Wes Anderson's film "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" will recognize Seu Jorge, as he had a small part in the film. In fact, he performed a few of Bowie's songs in the film.

He later released an entire album of Bowie covers in his native language, Portuguese. The songs lose nothing in the translation, and in fact they sort of become their own entities-- the melody is familiar, but the cadence of the lyrics is slightly off, and you hear things you may never have before. For someone who has been listening to Bowie since my older sister introduced me to his music (and his crotch) a long time ago in "Labyrinth", I was under the false assumption that I had heard all of the possible iterations of Bowie. I was wrong. Even if you're just a casual fan, this is worth a listen. It's available on iTunes, I believe. And it's also available, um... on that thing.... what's it called? Torrent, or something?

However you procure the music, do yourself a big favor and give it a few listens. My wife was at a loss when I requested this one for Christmas a few years ago. But after letting (forcing?) her listen to it, she has actually become a bit of a fan herself. I think you will, too.

Enjoy.




This video is a "found footage" youtube clip. Kinda cool.

No comments: