Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oscar nominees are out


This morning the Oscar nominees were released. The most nominated films are "There Will Be Blood" and "No Country for Old Men." While I'm glad to see Paul Thomas Anderson get a nod for both writing and directing TWBB, there are several other nominations that caught my interest for other reasons.


1.) "Juno"- Nominated for Best Picture! Best PICTURE! Jesus Christ. And what's more, it's also up for Best Director, Best Actress and Best Screenplay. Looks like the Academy, too, has been blinded by the hype. Get real.

2.) Johnny Depp is up for best actor, this year. Now, I'm not saying that he shouldn't be nominated, but nominating him for his role as Sweeney Todd, against Daniel Day Lewis' masterful role in "There Will Be Blood" just isn't fair. If Lewis doesn't win the Oscar, I won't know what to make of the Oscars-- to me, that would cost the Academy it's reputation.

3.)How great is it that Viggo Mortensen is up for Best Actor for his role in "Eastern Promises." Any other year, he would be the one I would root for. Well, I guess he'll just have to be glad that he was nominated. I'm kind of surprised his testicles aren't up for Best Supporting Actor(s) after their short, but powerful scene in the film.

4.) Cate Blanchett. Now, Cate is probably my favorite actress working today. She's fantastic. But, not only is she nominated for Best Actress for a role that damn near nobody saw ("Elizabeth: The Golden Age") but she is also nominated for Best Supporting Actress for another film nobody (in the mainstream) saw ("I'm Not There") and she'll win for that one. Seems like an Oscar nomination is an annual even for some of these people.

5.) Best Feature Documentary- I have to credit Jay Cheel from FilmJunk for bringing this to light, but 3 out of 5 of the documentaries nominated are films about the Iraq war. Now, I know that this is a hot-button topic, especially in Hollywood, but there are so many other documentaries about so many worthy topics for this to be the case. We get it-- the Iraq war is a quagmire, but can we discuss other very deserving documentaries as well, please? And does Michael Moore just get nominated for every documentary he makes? Is that in his contract, or what? "Sicko" was just not a very good film. And has anyone seen "King of Kong"? Anyone?

Overall I am pleased with most of the nominations. At least the main categories are relatively competetive compared to other years. Though, who am I kidding-- I would watch it regardless, well at least until Oscar gold touches the hands of Diablo Cody. That is when I switch to the all new American Gladiators I have on my DVR.

No comments: