Thursday, April 17, 2008

The name's Plissken... and I'll take a small coffee.

Anyone who knows me (or reads this blog with any frequency) knows that I unabashedly swing from the jock of John Carpenter. So, naturally, I was interested in getting a hold of the soundtracks for all of his films. What's interesting is that, for the most part, he writes the music for all of his films himself-- with the exception of "The Thing" which was written by the legendary Ennio Morricone. But, you know that unmistakable theme from the original "Halloween?" Yeah-- he wrote that.

As of late I have been writing to the score from his 1980 classic "Escape from New York." The score is totally of it's time-- all synthesizers and keyboards-- and that may turn some people off. But not me, I say it is awesome. It's certainly terrific background music. In fact, I listened to it twice over today in the coffee shop-- all 28 tracks! I realized that I had to stop listening to it when the barista told me where I could find the cream and sugar, and I responded, in a Snake Plissken voice, "I don't give a fuck about your cream, or your sugar."

So, if you like the film, or are just a fan of incredibly dated synthesizer music, give it a listen.

No comments: