Monday, September 15, 2008

The Bat's outta the bag? Not quite...

Ever since the (ridiculous?) success of "The Dark Knight", rumors have swirled about the next film in the series, and specifically which characters from the Batman universe would be portrayed by which A-list actors. Don't you just love today's film fans? We're not happy to just enjoy the films we have--  we choose rather to focus on what's next before deals are made and scripts are even written. Amazing. Anyhow-- of course they're going to make a sequel! If there's anything for absolutely certain, it's that any film that makes that much money in Hollywood will no doubt be treated to a sequel-- and probably more than one. (I know-- "The Dark Knight" itself is a sequel...)

Also, given the posthumous career bump that Heath Ledger received for his role as the Joker, what actor wouldn't want to be the next one to take on the reigns, and try to one-up the villainy in the next film. Some may consider trying to top the Joker a fool's errand, but I don't think so. As long as the character and portrayal are sufficiently different, this would be a prime role for any actor. Which brings me to my next point...

It was erroneously reported last week that Michael Caine let slip the fact that not only will there be a sequel, but the film will star Johnny Depp as the Riddler and Philip Seymour-Hoffman as the Penguin. And even though story has since been debunked and retracted, it still sounds on par with what Hollywood would try to force into the next movie.

My question is-- Do we really need Johnny Depp as the next Batman villain in the "Nolanverse?" Nothing against Depp-- hell, I'm actually a huge fan of his. I just think that it's enough already-- Johnny Depp is the ultimate actor of this generation. I get it! I'd rather they cast someone who goes somewhat against type, as they did with Ledger. Look back at the ire of the fanboy nation when he was announced as the Joker. Cut to a year and a half later, and he's the greatest Joker ever. Go figure. Casting Depp in Batman will do nothing more than surprise nobody, and make the goth/emo employees of Hot Topic cream their jeans. What about an actor like Guy Pierce (who starred in Nolan's "Memento") or even maybe a relative unknown. Okay-- that won't happen. But Depp is too easy. I thought the same thing about Angelina Jolie being rumored as Catwoman. Too obvious and too boring.

Now, of course, this should all be taken with a grain of salt. After all, there have also been reports of actors ranging from Brain Austin Green, Cher, Tera Patrick and several others being up for roles. I'm just saying, I hope this series doesn't get out of the hands of the man who has made it what it is-- Christopher Nolan. I'd like to think that he'd rather not make another film in the series than ruin it with forced casting. But, then again, who could turn down the type of money he'll be getting for the next movie.

Eh... I'm just talking shit now. I'll see it regardless. But you get my point, right?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Riddler is my favorite Batman villain and, while I agree that Johnny Depp would probably do a fine job, you never quite know what he's going to do. You might end up with a Jack Sparrow, but you could get a Willy Wonka. Personally, I'd rather see somebody like Robert Downey Jr. or Michael Emerson; somebody who exudes bemused intelligence. Just my opinion.

Scott said...

The Riddler? The Penguin? I know the Nolan brothers can turn out a great script, but can either of those two villians be as evil and menacing as the Joker? That being said, why not play up some non-traditional villains in the bat universe, i.e. Man Bat, Bane. Overall, I am trepidacious about the next installment. The Dark Knight had a magic that allowed everything to come together that may not be easily replicated.