Saturday, September 27, 2008

R.I.P. Paul Newman 1925-2008


Sad news from Hollywoodland. Legendary actor Paul Newman has succumbed to cancer at the age of 83.  The very definition of a movie star, Paul Newman starred in some of Hollywood's most memorable films such as "Cool Hand Luke", "Hud" and "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid." That's not to mention what was arguably his most enduring role-- the face on the many varieties of Newman's Own food products, the proceeds of which went to numerous charities.

For me, though, I'll always remember Newman as Fast Eddie Felson from one of my favorite films, "The Hustler." It's a fantastic film in which every performance (including Jackie Gleason's role as Minnesota Fats) is just knocked right out of the park If you've never seen one of his films, this is a terrific place to start.

So, here's to you, Paul. I don't really drink alcohol, but today I'll buy a 40oz. just so I pour some out for thee.


"The Hustler" - 1961 - Dir. Robert Rossen

No comments: