Friday, March 7, 2008

Lost Season 4 Episode 6: "The Other Woman"


Episode six was Juliet-centric. That was a nice change, because it returned to flashbacks and fleshed out her story a bit more. The show's arc is moving along, slowly but surely. Anyway, here are a few of the things that I noticed. (A word of warning-- number 8 has a potential spoiler, so you may want to stop reading at 7.)

1.) The book Ben is reading in his cell is Phillip K. Dick's "Valis." This is interesting because "Valis" is the story of P.K. Dick's alter-ego, Horselover Fat, and his quest to discover the truth behind a communication he believes to be from God. I'm not sure what this could mean for the show, exactly, but it was by no means a random book. It was most definitely significant to the story. If anyone has read, or knows anything more about "Valis", please leave me a comment.

2.) I think we can all agree that the appearance of the therapist in the woods was a manifestation of the smoke monster. If you listen right before she appears, there is audible whispering in the woods. Not to mention the fact that she simply disappeared after she was done talking to Juliet.

3.) If I were Jack, I think I have a stern heart-to-heart with Juliet and let her know that it's not okay to keep things secret and leave under false pretenses all the time. I understand that it keeps the show compelling, but from a character standpoint, it would get frustrating.

4.) And on that note-- I would have to sit Daniel and Charlotte down and say, "Okay, let's get it all out in the open, right now. What the hell are you doing here!" Jack does indeed have a gun, and should really use it to insist upon them that they talk.

5.) For my money, John Locke remains the most compelling, well written character on the show. terry O'Quinn deserves some recognition for that. The show is at it's most interesting when he is onscreen.

6.) Penny's father is the man for whom the "new others" work for. He is in search of the island "so that he can exploit it," according to Ben. However, there is obviously more to the story. Did anyone have any clue who the guy Widmore beat up was?

7.) I laughed out loud when Ben walked past Hurley and Sawyer and said, "See you guys at dinner." That was very funny.

8.) I think it's rather obvious that the person Ben has on the boat is none other than.... Michael. He is the only legitimate person it could be that would shock Locke (and us.) Add to that the fact that Harold Perrineau (Michael) is indeed scheduled to appear in episodes 7 and 8, and you've got yourself one anti-climactic reveal.


I do believe I built this episode up to be something bigger than what it was. It was interesting, but nothing world-changing.... yet. I do hope that Ben's man on the boat is not Michael, but I don't think it could be anyone else. Anyway, next week is shaping up to be a pretty interesting episode. Then again, I say that every week.

Anyway-- as per usual, we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ben linus is the funniest character on that show
"got any more milk?"
"i'm thirsty"
"see you guys at dinner!"
and that look he always gives when someones about to beat him up...again. its like "oh well, here we go again..."

and i call the "new others" freighties