Monday, March 17, 2008

What's the score...

I like to listen to instrumental music when I write. In fact, it's just about the only thing I listen to when I write, because otherwise I get distracted too easily. I like jazz, classical, electronica-- anything ambient and different. But lately I've been listening to certain motion picture scores when I'm writing, especially if the mood of a scene I'm working on works well with the tone of the music/movie.

One that I've grown especially fond of is James Newton Howard's score for "Signs." It's really an amazing score, and if you aren't too experienced with this genre, this is a good place to start. I'm finding it very inspiring. Give it s shot if you like instrumental music-- you won't be let down.

A few others to check out are Javier Navarette's score for "Pan's Labyrinth", Michael Giacchino's score for any of the seasons of "Lost" and any of John Carpenter's scores, especially "Halloween." All good stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Legends of the Fall
Cast Away
Legend of Bagger Vance
Fellowship of the Ring
Pirates of the Carribean
Unbreakable