Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My (Very Belated) Top Ten of 2007

Here it is, more than a week after the Oscars, and three months into the new year-- my Top Films of 2007. Any of these films would make more than worthy additions to your Netflix queue.

10.) The Host - Great film. It's what "Cloverfield" should have been.

9.) Grindhouse - I had a ball with this film. I just wish more people felt the same way. Bring on "Machete!"

8.) Superbad - Maybe not quite as amazing as many people say it is, but for me this film marked the real return to form for the R rated comedy. However, the Judd Apatow crew is now a real risk for over-exposure now.

7.) Breach - This one got lost in the shuffle, but it's a terrific film, and one hell of a screenplay. Chris Cooper could have snagged a Best Supporting Actor nod for his role.

6.) Michael Clayton - This one should have taken he Original Screenplay Oscar. It's a terrific corporate conspiracy thriller. And "I am Sheva, God of Death" is perhaps the best film line of the year. (Milkshakes notwithstanding)

5.) The King of Kong - Not quite as heady as the other big name Docs this year, but pound for pound the best one I've seen. It should have at least been nominated.

4.) Eastern Promises - Great crime drama. It's a damn shame Cronenberg didn't get an Oscar nod-- he deserved it.

3.) Rescue Dawn - Werner Herzog has amazed me every time I see one of his films. This one was no different. Any film fan should see this film.

2.) Once - A true independent film masterpiece. And one hell of a romantic movie. Not to mention it was the best part of the Oscar ceremony.

1.) There Will Be Blood - Yep, it's that good. I put a lot of faith in Paul Thomas Anderson, and as of yet he has not done me wrong. I believe this film will be regarded as the Best Film of 2007 when we look back ten years from now. Genius.

Honorable Mention:

Zodiac
Sunshine
The Lives of Others

Notable films I have yet to see:

The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men - (I know, I know... but hey, I read the book. Does that count?)
Into the Wild - (I want to see it, but my Sean Penn "Pretentious-meter" keeps going off.)
Sweeney Todd
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Lake of Fire and 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - (The "abortion movie" marathon will have to wait for DVD. )
El Orfanato
Ratatouille

Simply not as good as advertised:

Hairspray -- I saw this on an airplane. I contemplated hiding out in the stench of the bathroom until it was over.

Sicko -- Beyond the fact that I find Michael Moore despicable, this film just didn't have the impact, for better or worse, that most of his films have.

The Simpsons Movie -- A movie nearly 20 years after the show came out, eh? Nothing like striking while the iron is hot.

In Memoriam:

HD-DVD - The high-def disc that I once believed would win the format war has passed well before it's time. Goodbye friend, we hardly knew ye. In fact, about 5 of my HD-DVD's are still in their shrink wrap, so literally-- I hardly knew ye. Anyway, I tip my 40 ouncer for HD-DVD.


If you have any thought on my selections or any films I may have forgotten to mention, drop me a line in the comments.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a Juno- hater. Won best screenplay, nominated for best picture... Where's the love?

Jon said...

Well, to me "Juno" is right where it belongs... far away from my Top Ten list. Sorry to say, but it was a case of hype growing to astronomical proportions, when the film (and script) was just okay at best. Juno for best picture? Get real...

Anonymous said...

I'll admit that the actors all sounded similar, except for Gardner and the mom, but it was a funny movie, a good love story and well-written - however basic the structure and concept.

The key to the entire debate will be to judge her ability - Did Diablo Cody write for the characters or does she write and talk like a 16-year old.

If it's the former, you have to give her credit for giving the characters such realistic voices.

Anonymous said...

You and I both put Blood at number one, but on two very different list. For me, it tops my "Most Overrated Films of the Year" list.

And it probably finds a nice comfy spot in the top 3 of the "all-time" rankings. Right up there with Scarface.

Query-A-Day said...

Okay- I love your Oscar picture. Too funny. I have yet to see many of the movies you praised... I've got to get out more, or stop adding the classics to my Blockbuster DVD queue!