Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Oscar picks...


With the Oscars coming up this Sunday, I figured I'd give my 2 cents on the topic, because you know, it's not like every other blogger will be doing the exact same thing. Anyway, my picks are broken down like this:

Category:
Who will win:
Who should win:


Not too hard to follow. Here we go...


Best Picture

Which will: "No Country for Old Men" - The Acadmey loves Joel and Ethan Coen, and Scott Rudin produced. I think it'll get the gold.

Which should: "There Will be Blood" - Regardless of Director, Producer or anyone else involved in the movie, this is the best picture of the year.

Best Actor

Who will: Daniel Day-Lewis
Who should: Daniel Day-Lewis - If he doesn't win the Oscar, I wil be thoroughly convinced that the whole thing is a sham.

Best Actress

Who will: Julie Christie - This is a meaty role, and a legendary actress. The Academy voters love giving awards to veterans who are still making good movies. See: Michael Caine.
Who should:Julie Christie


Best Suporting Actor

Who will: Javier Bardem
Who should: Javier Bardem - This is one of those cases where the Oscar has been unoffically in his hands since the film was completed. Hard to argue with that in this case, though.


Best Supporting Actress

Who will: Cate Blanchett - What can I say-- she is playing a man (unsuccessfully, in my opinion) and that makes people simply want to give her an award. Bo-ring.
Who should: Amy Ryan - She gave the only truly effective performance in a cast of extreme heavyweight actors. She was terriffic at playing a really trashy character, without making it an over-the-top caricature.


Best Director

Who will: Paul Thomas Anderson - If the Academy doesn't recognize the rare genius that Anderson tapped into with "TWBB", I really don't know who they have voting for these awards.
Who should: Paul Thomas Anderson


Best Screenplay (Adapted)

Which will: "No Country for Old Men" - This was an incredibly faithful adaptation of a really terrific book. I have no problem at all with this script winning the Oscar.

Which should: "There Will be Blood" - However, what PT Anderson did with "Oil!" in turning it into "TWWB" is nothing short of amazing. I'd be just as happy if this script pulled in the gold.


Best Screenplay (Original)

Which will: "Juno" - What can I say, Hollywood is in love with the story of Juno writer Diablo Cody. I have absolutely no comment...
Which should: "Ratatouille" - I'd like a precedent to be set by giving the Oscar to an animated film. But they won't, because did you know Diablo Cody used to be a stripper! And this is her first Script! And she is just so cool! Woo-hoo!


Best Cinematography

Who will: "No Country for Old Men" This one is a toss-up. I think the Academy will go with "No Country..." because of Roger Deakins...
Who should:"There Will be Blood" - But, I would give it to "TWBB".


So that's it-- just the major categories. If you agree or disagree please feel free to drop me a line in the comments section and tell me all about it.

The Oscars are on ABC this Sunday, February 24th at 8:00 PM.

No comments: